Help Stomp Out Creative Block !


I haven't finalized any workshops to teach in 2009. I'm going through a creative block this month. But this is nothing new. I have gone through this for the past several years. I know what the "issue" IS, I just haven't figured out a way to resolve it. I'm working it out now though, so I won't be writing this (again) in December of 2009! *smiles*

So with this block thingy goin' on, I thought I would list some places, events, workshops, etc., that ARE happening to help me (and maybe you) get those creative juices flowing in the new year.

Of course, a lot of these events are in and around Southern California. I mean, hey, this is where I live, and with the economy and all, I will probably be staying close to home in 2009.

I hope to be posting about some of my OWN classes/workshops in the coming months, but until then . . .

January 4, There's always the Irvine Flea Market with all of its vintage goodies. This event is held every first Sunday of the month. 5500 Irvine Center Dr, Irvine, CA. I always find something at this event to get the creative juices flowing. And quite often, I list some the items I purchase in my etsy shop to share with you.

January 16 - 19 is the California Gift Show in downtown Los Angeles. If anyone is reading this and knows a way for me to get into this show, I would be glad to chauffeur you from your home to the show, treat you to lunch, take you out for dinner and drinks after the event, and just about anything else you would require that day!

I SOOOOOOOOOOO want to attend this event! Need some art supplies? I can pack up a nice box of those to give to you as well! Can you tell I really REALLY want to go to this? *smiles*

January 23 - 27 is DEMO-DAZE at The ARTbar. They promise to have surprise visits from the hottest mixed-media suppliers nationwide. Stay tuned for their special schedule of guest artists, trunk shows and free demos. Hi Nicole!

January 25 - The Jamestown Village Fleamarket in the parking lot of Vintage Whimzy's in Tustin which is open from 8am-3pm. This is a monthly event that happens every 4th Sunday. Hi Sheryl (and mom and sister)!

February 6 - 8, Kelly Kilmer will be in Arizona at Frenzy Stamper teaching a Valentine Tree Book workshop, a Memento Book workshop, as well as an Altered Photos Revisited workshop. Go to Kelly's blog for photos of her samples. Hey Kelly!

February 13 - 15, The Scrapbook Expo at the Orange County Fairgrounds in Costa Mesa. I'm not a "scrapper", but I love going to this event just to get "stuff" and paper!

March 14 - 15, A Stamp in the Hand's Original Rubberstamp Convention in Carson, CA. This is where I get to spend HOURS watching Tim Holtz. This is also when I get so see friends and students from classes I've taught and catch up with new blogger buddies. Hi Tim, Pearl and the gang!

March 22, Robin Dudley-Howes is teaching her Treasure Necklace at Gilding the Lily in Fullerton. At the time of this posting, there are only 3 seats remaining. Hi Nancy - Hi Robin

Ran across this site Reflections and found this event that's happening May 1 - 3 at the Hyatt Regency Newport Beach hotel. There are going to be 7 designer/instructors. Of the 7, Teresa Collins was the only name that was familiar to me.

Ok, so this question is for my scrapbooker friends: They don't say what the projects will actually be, but even if I'm not a scrapbooker, do you think it's something I would enjoy? Or when they use the word "crop", does that mean I need to stay up until midnight making those 2-page layouts I've seen?

Then of course there's Art & Soul in Asimolar May 25th - 27th.


Do YOU know of any events to share that are coming up in the next few months?

6 comments:

Kelly Kilmer said...

Thanks Sherry! I just posted a link on my class blog with an update of my last 2008 classes and my current 2009 classes!!!

I appreciate your help :)


http://kellykilmerworkshops.blogspot.com/

I know how you feel! I'd love to go to the gift show, too ;)

Anonymous said...

There's still some openings for Jan 31st for the Marie Antoinette workshop event in Culver City. Kim puts on amazing events. You can find more details here: http://artisticbliss.typepad.com

I also know the coordinators of the Reflections event. The teachers are still finishing up their class projects. But it will be a good mix of scrapbook layouts, mini albums and books and home decor type of projects. The coordinators of the event spent months researching teachers and really found some talented artists to teach. Their blogs and galleries are incredible. There are three full days of classes, make and takes, shopping, and other fun events too. It's going to be incredible.

Sandra Evertson said...

Sending you and yours Season's Greetings and Happy Holiday Wishes!
Sandra Evertson

Michelle Frae Cummings said...

thanks for posting all those goodies! I'm going to try to work some into my time off. I know I'l doing CHA on the 27th as a guest, and the Scrapbook expo falls on my Birthday weekend so I have to figure which day I want to do that one.

don't forget, I have your "rusty" things, and some cookies for ya!

TiffanyJane said...

Hi Sherry! Love the pic of you...Beautiful! :)
I know we all go through creative bumps in the road........Sending you lots of creative wishes for 2009! Looks like there will be a ton of good things to attend in the New Year!!
I hope you and your family have a Wonderful Christmas~
I'm working on your banner and another friends at the same time, will probably still be at least another week or so. :)
Hugs~
Tiff

Susan Sager Brown said...

Sherry-are you near Seal Beach, California? Ruth Rae is giving a workshop called Soulful Doors. I found a blog called "In the Artist's Studio" which listed it.
Just in case you're close, Ruth's stuff is amazing. I especially admire it because she does a lot of sewing, which I am deathly afraid of!! Just FYI!!xoSusan