Got Chalk Art? - Sunday, May 18th

Below is one of my favorites of the day . . . .


Mission Viejo (in South Orange County California) hosted a Street Painting Festival and Celebrations of the Arts event this weekend.

Street Painting - using chalk as the medium, is an Italian tradition dating back to the 16th Century, when painters known as "Madonnari" would transform village squares into colorful temporary galleries. Today the tradition lives on in the village of Grazie de Curtatone, Italy, at its International Street Painting Festival.

I braved the 96.6 degree heat today and drove the 6 miles over to M.V. to see this event. And OMG! I am soooooo glad I did. The artwork there was really something to see. These are some photos I took.

Click on each photo to get a larger view of the chalk drawings.




















4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so unhappy I didn't go

Cory said...

Oh how I wish I had known about this....I'm not that far from San Diego, I'm in Phoenix. What fun !!

Love your bowls.....

Thank you for enjoying my collage and for the lovely comment.

Cory

Sherry Goodloe said...

If it makes you feel any better Cory, the event was in Mission Viejo in South Orange County - not in Mission in San Diego :-) AND, they do this every year, so you can always plan to come next time (more smiles)

shauna said...

These are amazing! Thank you for sharing them for all of us to enjoy! I don't understand how they are opaque! Whenever I've used chalk on the sidewalk, parking lot, etc., you can always see it through the chalk no matter how much chalk you use. I only saw one of these where you could see through it and that was only part of it and she wasn't finished. It was the outside circles of the Looney Toons. I looked close at each of them and they look totally solid and the shading and highlights everyone did are stunning! The water bearer picture even captured the sparkling, opalescent look of the pouring water! I love the fruit and flower one too but my favorite is the bubble bath. When you look up close the work on each bubble is mind boggling! I'll bet these artists go through at least 10-20 boxes of chalk for each artwork. Chalk goes so fast on concrete and to get it so opaque would just take tons of it! Again, thanks so much for sharing these and I'm happy you were able to make it in person!
Shauna