Merry Christmas

I wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and a joy-filled, blessed and abundant New Year! It's back to work for me tomorrow, so I am trying to squeeze every bit of fun in I can today.

I wanted to share a few things with you. First, I wanted to show you my Sock Monkey Slippers that a friend gave me for Christmas. Aren't they just the CUTEST?! I just love the Sock Monkey. Wearing these today may inspire me to find and finish that half-made sock monkey in my closet somewhere!

I made some more fabric and paper towel beads last night and this morning. Thought I would share with you the technique I use to make my beads.

This is one of the paper towels that I painted with watercolors, let dry, and then cut or tore into strips for beads. These papers are so easy to make if you keep a stack of paper towels on your work table. When you are painting, just wipe your brushes off on the paper towels, turn them over when they get full and wipe the backside of the towels. Leave them to dry and then store them away for bead-making, collaging, and more!

These are the beads drying. Can you tell which ones are the papertowel beads and which are the fabric beads?

When using fabric, I tear the fabric into different strip widths, apply Golden's regular gel medium - matte mixed with some of Plaid's Stiffy fabric stiffener. I then roll the fabric onto a straw and either "scrunch" the fabric from both ends toward the middle or leave it the way it rolls. On some of the beads I leave the straw intact, and on others, I slide the bead off and onto either some wax paper or Reynolds Wrap Release - non-stick heavy duty aluminum foil.

Once the beads are dry, I cut them into the size I want and then give them a coat of Judikin's Diamond Glaze. I use this stuff on EVERYTHING! In these photos I haven't applied the Diamond Glaze yet because the beads aren't dry. I usually let them dry for 24 hours.

I will post my canvas pieces on my Blog once they are finished. Hopefully that will be next week when I'm off work for a few days again.

No comments: